Friday 7 August 2015

Dog Walk, and Sea Glass Collecting On Our Local Beach

Yesterday morning we wandered down to our local beach with our dogs, Barley the Lurcher and Porter the Rottweiler.
The main reason for deciding to go to the beach was so that Barley and Porter could enjoy mooching about off-lead, without us having to worry that they'd run off - recall is a work in progress for both of them. Although I think it's really Mr.R and me who need more training.......

Perfect morning on the beach with the dogs. I even got to mediate for a few minutes. ❤️πŸ™☺️
Perfect - I even got to meditate

Anyway, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, it was a truly glorious morning. so, once we'd walked down the steps that lead to the beach, we had a quick scan all around to make sure we were the only ones there, which we were, and then we let the boys off their leads.

Barley. πŸ•❤️
Barley the Lurcher

Thankfully the local beach, which is within a few minutes walk from the house, is usually empty, and as it was about 5:30am we were pretty sure we'd be able to stay down there for a good while without interruption.

Porter. πŸ•πŸ’™
Porter the Rottweiler

Barley and Porter immediately ran off, which wasn't ideal as this beach is all pebbles, and rocks, so as it soon became obvious that they weren't going to play nicely, and we didn't want either of them to injure themselves; break a leg etc., we had no choice but to put one of them back on a lead, while we let the other remain free.
After a good mooch, we swapped, the free dog was put back on his lead, and the other boy was set free to mooch about the beach.

Big blob.
Big rock - not a piece of sea glass


Barley and Porter both enjoyed the beach, sniffing, digging in the rocky sand, and paddling in the sea.
Mr.R and me also enjoyed it, although we chose not to go in the sea, too fecking cold for us soft Southerners - well, it is the North Sea not the Mediterranean.

452g. No wonder my jeans were falling down. Pocket full of lovely sea glass from this mornings beach stroll.
452 g, the contents of my back pocket


It was while we were walking along the beach that Mr.R started to see, and pick up, pieces of sea glass.
I also started picking up the pieces I saw.
It wasn't long before my jeans started to fall down with the weight of the glass in my back pocket. Hahaha!

527g. Total. Sea glass I collected, plus husbands pieces, and the bits I found on the steps as we walked back up from the beach. And a heart shaped pebbles, couple of pretty stars, and a random piece of metal. Not a bad haul. πŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜
527g the total of our sea glass haul - and a few other bits we found


I don't think we've ever collected so much sea glass in such a small space, or short amount of time. We were on the beach for about 90 minutes before we all felt like we'd had enough fresh sea air. Yes, you can have too much of a good thing - by which I mean we we thirsty. Neither me or Mr.R had drank anything before we left the house, we were in desperate need of a nice cuppa. Green tea for me, lots of espresso coffee for Mr.R.

Barley. That don't look edible! πŸΆπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‚
Barley helping with the rinsing of the sea glass - Good Boy!


A slow stroll back to the house, and then I weighed our sea glass collection. OCD. I couldn't resist finding out how much we'd collected.
The total was about half a kilo, not a bad haul for a little walk on a very small beach.

Sea glass. More for the jar.
Sea glass, washed, dry, and ready to be added to our previous collection
Rope tug toy we made for the dogs - Impressive knot tying skills eh?


I'm not sure what I'll do with the sea glass, probably nothing. At the moment it all gets chucked into a glass jar, purely for decoration.
I used to make jewellery, and I know I could make some lovely things with a lot of the larger pieces of sea glass, but I'm not feeling at all creative anymore.
It will look lovely once the jar is full and the light catches the jewel colours of the sea glass.
Do you collect sea glass?
What do you do with your sea glass?
Are you creative, do you make something wonderful with your sea glass?




No comments:

Post a Comment