Wednesday 3 September 2014

Stormhoek, The Siren, Shiraz Grenache 2013 - Wine Review

We've had some decent wines from the Co-Op recently, but I'm not sure that this was one of them.
Stormhoek, The Siren, Shiraz Grenache 2013.
This South African wine cost £5.75, is made using 85% Shiraz, 15% Grenache grapes. 13% Vol.

The Siren, Shiraz, Grenache 2013. Red wine. Wine. Western Cape. South African wine.


Initially we thought this wine was soft, with lovely red fruit flavours.
But after the first sip, both Mr.R and me thought it tasted quite sweet, and it smelt like acetone, and tasted like petrol - or at least how I imagine petrol would taste because I can't fully remember.

I don't spend much time drinking petrol, but having said that I do know how it tastes; sucking on a piece of hose to syphon petrol from the petrol tank on a car, many many moons ago.
No, I wasn't stealing the petrol, it was necessary to transfer the petrol from one car to another, both owned by my family.
Ha! I'm rambling about petrol, when I'm supposedly writing a wine review - well, this wine did remind me of drinking petrol so I guess it's relevant.

The Siren, Shiraz, Grenache 2013. Red wine. Wine. Western Cape. South African wine.


From the label -

Be Passionate. Love. Dream Big. Be Spontaneous. Celebrate. 
The Siren. Shiraz - Grenache. 
A well balanced wine with the spicy richness of the Shiraz working with the raspberry flavours of the Grenache. This exciting blend has layers of youthful, spicy plum and cherry aromas with blueberry and savoury red fruits on the finish. Hope you enjoy. Seriously.
The Siren, Shiraz, Grenache 2013. Red wine. Wine. Western Cape. South African wine.


Anyway, this wine definitely isn't one we'll be buying again, unless we forget and it gets put into our shopping basket.
Have you tried Stormhoek The Siren, Shiraz Grenache 2013?
Did you smell acetone, and taste petrol?
Or, did you like it?
I'm interested to know what you thought of this wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment