Thursday 18 September 2014

Scotland Decides - Referendum on Independence

There's been lots of news reports in the papers and all over the internet during the last few days, about the referendum in Scotland, and yet today, a day which is possibly the biggest day in British history since WWII, news coverage has been suspiciously quiet.
Why?
Maybe the news stations are worried about receiving death threats; if you believe what has been reported over the last week or so, several high profile news reporters and big businesses have been sent threats against themselves and their families.

I know people are still voting, but why aren't there any interviews etc. on the news, politicians spouting nonsense, or well-known pundits voicing their thoughts about Scotland voting for independence?
It all seems very odd to me - the lack of reporting.

So, what will Scotland decide?
The polling stations opened this morning for voting at 7am and will remain open until 10pm this evening.
The results will be revealed in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

I'm not going to write what I want to happen, mainly because I don't want to jinx the result. ;)
But having paid close-ish attention to what Alex Salmond has been saying ever since he first publicly spoke about the Yes No vote, I do think it's all a bit vague. I mean there doesn't seem to be any real fiscal policy, what he's said seems to all be pie in the sky, so if the majority votes yes, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Also 'interesting' is how many famous people and celebrities are speaking out about the referendum in Scotland, it's interesting because most of them don't even live in the UK - or the real World. ;)

I seriously think that we should all get to vote. By we and all, I mean British people. I mean just because us Brits don't reside in Scotland, does not mean we are not going to be affected by this referendum.

David Cameron seems to be losing the plot, more than usual, about Scotland and the possibility of it becoming independent.
I guess that explains why he has said that if they vote 'No' Scotland will be given even more powers.
They already get a say about what we do in England. But England doesn't get to say what they do in Scotland. Hardly seems fair, or democratic, does it?

If you can believe the figures printed in the press, Scotland raises £45 billion a year in taxes, but it receives £62 billion in public spending.
So that's a lovely subsidy of £17 billion, courtesy of the rest of the UK. Not bad eh?


I want to vote. I really do. I think I should be able to vote in something that whether the result is yes, or no, will undoubtedly influence my life for many many years to come.
It just does not seem right, or fair, that the majority of the people in the UK are being denied a vote on whether to break up the United Kingdom, and that is exactly what this referendum is all about.
It may be headlined as Scotland voting to become independent from the rest of the UK, but it doesn't only concern Scotland, it is an important issue for all British people.
And yet, because of the rules about who can and can't vote, the future of United Kingdom will be, in part, decided by the Polish, Lithuanians, Romanians, and thousands of schoolchildren, because they live in Scotland.
This isn't an immigration issue for me, I don't have a problem with people from Poland, Lithuania, or Romania voting. If they live in Scotland, then that seems fair.
I also have no problem with children being allowed to vote, as they are also living in Scotland.
But I do have trouble accepting the fact that the rest of us Brits living in the United Kingdom get absolutely no say in the outcome of the referendum in Scotland.
So much for democracy!

Right, that's just about all I want to say. Well, I could say a lot more, but I think I'll leave it now.
What's your opinion about all of this?
Do you think Scotland should become independent?
Or Should they remain as a part of the United Kindgom?
Do you think it's fair that only people residing in Scotland (registered to vote in Scotland) are allowed to vote?
Or do you think that all British people should be entitled to cast their vote?
I really would love to hear what you think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment