Friday 15 August 2014

Eridanous Halva - Sweet Treat

Eridanous Authentic Greek Speciality
Macedonian Style Almond Halva

I don't usually go food shopping with Mr.R, I don't like it, and neither does Mr.R.
I mean he doesn't like me going shopping with him because he thinks I take too long.
He also doesn't like shopping either, but someone has to do it - or we'd starve.

Halva. Sweet.


Anyway, recently he went to Lidl and came back with our usual shop; mainly lots of bottles of their good value red wine. But he also brought me back a sweet treat - Halva.
I haven't eaten halva for many many years, so I was interested to know if I liked it now.

Halva. Sweet.


Halva always makes me think of my mum. I remember her telling me many times that she used to love halva, it was a rare sweet treat for her, but she soon went off it once people knew she liked it.
Mum told me that once her family friends knew she liked halva they would always bring her a box when they visited her and/or her family. And they visited often. And there was a lot of them.
It wasn't long before mum began to dislike the overly sickly sweet taste of halva, but she didn't want to be ungrateful so she would accept the sweet gifts politely.
Mum told me that she would say thank you, and then the halva bearing gift givers would insist she opened the box and ate some. It didn't matter what excuses she made, they would insist until she ate some of the halva.
Mum would offer the halva to everyone there at the time, but they'd all decline.
I guess they didn't want to deprive mum of her favourite treat. Haha!
So because of her friends generous nature mums stash of halva grew pretty quickly - no wonder she went off it.

Halva. Sweet.


I really appreciated Mr.R buying me a box of halva, and initially I enjoyed it. But after the first couple of bites I thought it wasn't going to become my favourite sweet treat. So, now I have a big box of halva with a tiny piece missing, and no idea what to do with the rest of it.
Do you like halva? Do you want mine? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment