Monday 23 June 2014

England World Cup 2014, Worst Ever Performance


England didn't win the World Cup in 2014 - what a shocker!

According to the media, and no doubt the opinion of the football fans, England have had a very bad World Cup.
The Three Lions' tournament was a seriously short-lived event, it was all over after just two games.
This tournament has seen the worst ever performance by an England team in the World Cup finals.

I'm not a football fan, I don't follow any particular team, but like a lot of us Brits when the World Cup comes around I do get into the spirit of the game - well, just a little. By which I mean that whenever the England team are playing I flick over occasionally from whatever programme I'm really watching to see the scores.
The 2014 World Cup hasn't given me, or any true football fans anything to get excited about, the whole thing has been lack-lustre, and disheartening. It's a shame as I think we could really do with some good news in this country at the moment. But alas it's not going to come from the England football team.

As I've already said, I'm not particularly interested in football, to me it's just a game, played by a bunch of overpaid ego-maniacs who believe they are better than anyone else, and above the law.
But, I don't think I have to be a football fan to know why we always seem to play so badly in the World Cup, by which I mean we never win - well, not since 1966.
Our footballers are treated like delicate little princesses, or should I say princes, who are pampered and protected from the harsh realities of life. I mean they don't know what hard work it - which is why I'm not surprised we always play badly.
As a first World country, (ha! that's supposedly what England is) we have some of the most talented, and definitely highly paid footballers in the World. Now if the saying, 'you get what you pay for' is true, and I pretty much believe in most cases it is, then the England footballers are excellent players.
So, if our football players are excellent at what I consider to be an accurate definition of football - kicking a tiny ball into a huge net, then surely we should have won the World Cup at least once since the 1960's - shouldn't we?
But, no, we have not won. We are crap!
Why are the England football team not scoring goals and winning matches?
I most definitely am not an expert on football, I don't even know what the offside rule is, but even to me, the reason we never bring home the World Cup is simply because we aren't trying hard enough.
By we, I mean them, the England players.
So, why aren't our football team trying harder, playing better, winning matches? It's simple, they don't want to.
The England football team don't really want to break a sweat, it might spoil their good looks and damage their ability to earn obscene money from the advertisers who are pretty much solely responsible for the overinflated egos of our football 'stars'.
But more important than that the England team don't want to play harder and win because they don't want to injure themselves. If they are injured while playing in the World Cup it could have serious consequences for them and their careers when they return home to their teams.
If they are seriously injured playing in the World Cup, the worst case scenario may be the end of their football career. And although I'm sure there are footballers who genuinely love playing football, there are most definitely some footballers who love the fame, money, and lifestyle a whole lot more than the beautiful game. 
I mean, some footballers just happen to have been good at football when they were young and at at school, got spotted by a talent spotter and agent etc. and then before they knew it they were successfully playing for one of the big teams. It wasn't football in particular that interested them, they just happened to be good at it, and as it offered them fame and money they went for it. If they'd been good with technology, they could just have easily have ended up being the next big thing since Google.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing footballers, and I guess I am a little, but it's not personal, I just don't understand the ho-har that surrounds them, they're just ordinary people like you and me, they aren't Gods, but you'd think so by the way they are treated, and by their behaviour.

So, to surmise, once again England are not the winners of the World Cup.
England are not the winners of the World Cup because they just don't want to play well enough to win. They don't want to risk any injury that may be detrimental to their income once they're back playing for their usual team.
So why are other football teams playing well and scoring goals? Winning goals.
I think that's pretty easy to explain too. The footballers on the other teams have pride. Pride in themselves, pride in the game, and most importantly pride in their country.
Unfortunately pride in England is not something our footballers feel. And sad though it is, judging by the state of our country, it's understandable and I can't blame them.
Plus, some of the other countries taking part in the World Cup will have players who are not only truly passionate about the game, but also determined to play as good as they can in the hopes of attracting the attention of the people who may purchase them in the future to play for one of the big league clubs.

One more thing before I end this rant about a topic I have no particular interest in, but apparently enough of an interest to ramble on and on...........
One last thing, that bugs me, but not as much as serious issues like politics, rape, economics, violence, war etc. is the wages footballers receive.
I understand why they are paid so much money, advertising.
But, to me, it seems wrong.
Footballers! They're hardly solving the big problems are they, or making the World a better safer place.
It's firefighters, nurses, and dare I say it in this country where it seems everyone hates them - the police, who should be earning the big money, they're the people who really work hard, who really make a difference to lives of so many of us - a difference for the better.
I know! I know! It's not the fault of footballers that they are treated like royalty, and are as rich as, hmm, let me think, who is seriously wealthy? Politicians? Dictators? Sultans? Whatever! Whoever! Rich people!
And if I could get paid obscene amounts of dosh for not actually working very hard at all - I'd jump at the chance, who wouldn't? But I'd like to think I'd still be down-to-earth, and not behave like a prima donna.

I said that I was ending this blog post, and I am, but here's just one more one more thing before I post this.
The Top 10 Highest Paid Footballers in the World

  • Wayne Rooney - £300,000 a week
  • Cristiano Ronaldo - £292 after tax, making him the highest earner in the World
  • Gareth Bale - £300,000 a week
  • Lionel Messi - £13 million a year
  • Radamel Falcao - £11.4 a year
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic - £11.3 million a year
  • Sergio Aguero - £11 million a year
  • Yaya Toure - £10.6 million a year
  • Thiago Silva - £9.8 million a year
  • David Silva - £9.8 million
  • Fernando Torres - £8.8 million a year

So, yep, footballers earn quite a lot of money, and a little bit more than people who really benefit the World, like firefighters etc. and our footballers, the England team, are crap.

I haven't uploaded any photos to this blog post, which is something I usually like to do on all of my posts, mainly because I don't own any photos of the England football team, and I only ever use my own shots on this blog.
I was going to draw a couple of the payers, cartoon style as I'm no artist, but quite frankly I couldn't be bothered. I am completely fed up of hearing about football, I only wrote this post to get it out of my system, and I don't think I'm alone in being fed up of the football.
I noticed yesterday that a couple of our neighbours, who had covered their houses in lots very large England flags, have taken them all down. Oh dear!
Do you like football? Are you surprised by the bad performance of the England team?
More importantly what would you do if you earnt as much as Wayne Rooney? 
Or maybe you do?
What would you spend your £300,000 a week wages on?
I'd move to Monaco...........

No comments:

Post a Comment