Thursday 6 March 2014

Samsung Chromebook Review

Samsung Chromebook

Just before Christmas Mr.R surprised me with a present, a Samsung Chromebook.
It wasn't a present for any particular reason, he said he bought it to make it easier for me to write my blog.
I was previously using my iPad to write blog posts on my blog, and although I love it, since using the Chromebook I realise that my iPad is a little limited to how it works with my blog, and various other things I like to do online.

Samsung Chromebook

I was completely surprised by my gift of the Samsung Chromebook, and slightly confused as I hadn't asked for a new toy, or even thought I needed one.
I hadn't heard of the Samsung Chromebook either, but I knew of the Chrome browser, although I'd never used it.

Samsung Chromebook

Initially when I unboxed the Samsung Chromebook I was concerned that I wouldn't like it because I wouldn't know how to use it, and I don't like change, by which I mean I'm lazy and can't be bothered to learn how to use something new.
I needn't have worried because it is seriously simple to use. If I can figure it out, anyone can - I'm not usually good with technology which is another reason I've always loved, and used Macs; they're super easy to set-up and use.

Samsung Chromebook

It only took a couple of days for me to get used to the Chromebook keyboard, which is set out slightly differently to a Mac keyboard, before I was confidently tapping away on the keyboard using the Samsung Chromebook to write blog posts, and do all of the other stuff I like to do online.
In fact now when I use the keyboard on a Mac I find myself mistyping because I can't remember where certain keys are; screen brightness etc.

Samsung Chromebook

So, after using my new Samsung Chromebook for a couple of months, what do I think of it?
I like it.
This surprised me a little, mainly because I've always been a Mac user, and a big fan of anything Apple. I didn't think I'd get used to using something other than a Mac, but I did, which proves you can teach and old dog new tricks.

Samsung Chromebook

As I said I'm not particularly technology savvy, so I'm not going to write in-depth about the full specs of the my new Samsung Chromebook, I'll stick to the basics, and what it does for my use.
I mainly use the Chromebook to write my blog posts, for which it is perfect.
I also use it to browse the web, email etc.
I know my Samsung Chromebook is capable of doing a lot more than I do with it, but I'm happy with how I use it.
I like my Samsung Chromebook, for me it doesn't really have any negatives.
It is seriously quick to boot-up, it's even quicker than a Mac, and they're super fast.
The battery life is good.
It's incredibly light, which probably explains why I usually drop mine several times a day - thankfully never on the floor, it usually falls off of my lap and on to the sofa beside me.
If I did have to say one negative thing about my Samsung Chromebook it would be the colour of the screen, it's a bit too cold for my liking, it has a blue grey tinge, but then I always keep the brightness very low as any bright light hurts my eyes.
Also the screen quality is not really good enough to stream HD videos, but then what do you expect for such a reasonably priced piece of kit.
I watch YouTube videos, for doing yoga or searching product reviews, and for those type of videos the Chromebook screen quality doesn't bother me.
As I said, the Chromebook is a very reasonably priced laptop, so the screen quality is decent enough. Speaking of price, Mr.R purchased my Samsung Chromebook from Amazon UK, he paid about £200.
All in all, I'd say the Samsung Chromebook is a great little laptop for a bargain price.

Samsung Chromebook

So, that's what I think about the Samsung Chromebook.
And here's a little bit of technical info about the Samsung Chromebook.
It's a collaboration between Google and Samsung.
Chromebook is Googles name for the laptop that runs on its Chrome operating system, not on a Mac OS or Windows.
The Chromebook is a different type of computer that operates exclusively inside a web browser. This means you don't install software, you use web apps that exist on the internet.
I think my Chromebook has 16GB of storage, it doesn't need a large hard drive because it stores the majority of files online within the cloud.
The Chromebook has USB ports for connecting external peripherals, a memory card reader, and a VGA port for connecting a monitor.

Samsung Chromebook


Have you used a Samsung Chromebook?
What did you think of it?





No comments:

Post a Comment