Tuesday 10 December 2013

An Independent Scotland Would Cost the Rest of the UK Millions of Pounds

Scotland want devolution.
I say, let them have it.


I was browsing a government website earlier today, when I came across a post about Scotland wanting independence.
I read a few of the comments posted by users of the website, and then I posted my own comment.
I was limited by the number of characters I was allowed to use for my comment, which may or may not explain why my comment isn't particularly enlightened or thought provoking.
Anyway, after I'd written and posted my comment about Scotland wanting to be independent, I thought I'd copy and paste it to my blog, so here it is below.

'Scotland want to be independent. Let them. 
I read that not only do they want independence, but they also want to be free from paying off the UKs debts. 
Ha! I bet they do. That's not on. 
They helped make the deficit, they must help pay it off. 
And as it's been suggested that independence will increase the price of food in Scotland, they must not be allowed to ask for any assistance, financial or otherwise, when they realise they're struggling to feed themselves. 
No subsidies, at all, ever.'



The design above is what the Union Jack flag could look like if Scotland leaves. 
Scotland leaves, Wales must surely go on. 
The green is obviously for Wales, who are not currently represented in the Union Jack because Wales was part of the English Kingdom when the flag was designed. 
I like this design which surprised me because I don't like the colour green, unless it's for trees and vegetables.

I could write loads more words about this subject, as it involves so many issues, and I have thoughts and string opinions on all of them, but for once I thought I'd try to write a short blog post that doesn't wander miles off topic as I am usually prone to doing.
Mission accomplished I think. It's short, and to the point.

Scotland want devolution. Cool! Let them have it.
I wonder how long after becoming independent Scotland would hear the expression, 'Be careful what you wish for, it may just come true' ringing in their ears?

Actually I'm not being completely serious when I say let them be independent, the ramifications to the rest of the UK would no doubt be unfavourable. An independent Scotland would cost the rest of the UK millions of pounds.

The flag above is another possibility for the design of the Union Jack if Scotland leaves.
Gone is the blue signifying the Scottish flag, which is replaced with black, and the white is replaced by yellow, apparently honouring St.David Wales' patron saint. 
I don't like this design, which once again surprised me because I like red, black and yellow, which is why my doodle of this design is especially rough. 

Possible new Union Jack flag designs aside, what do you think about Scotland becoming independent?
I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment